Thursday, March 2, 2017

Review ~ The Elusive Miss Ellison (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #1) by Carolyn Miller


Paperback, 304 pages

Published February 28th 2017 by Kregel Publication


Pride, prejudice and forgiveness...
Hampton Hall's new owner has the villagers of St. Hampton Heath all aflutter--all except Lavinia Ellison. The reverend's daughter cares for those who are poor and sick, and the seventh Earl of Hawkesbury definitely does not meet that criteria. His refusal to take his responsibilities seriously, or even darken the door of the church, leave her convinced he is as arrogant and reckless as his brother--his brother who stole the most important person in Lavinia's world.

Nicholas Stamford is shadowed by guilt: his own, his brother's, the legacy of war. A perfunctory visit to this dreary part of Gloucestershire wasn't supposed to engage his heart or his mind. Challenged by Miss Ellison's fascinating blend of Bluestocking opinions, hoydenish behavior, and angelic voice, he finds the impossible becoming possible--he begins to care. But Lavinia's aloof manner, society's opposition, and his ancestral obligations prove most frustrating until scandal forces them to get along.

Can Lavinia and Nicholas look beyond painful pasts and present prejudice to see their future? And what will happen when Lavinia learns a family secret that alters everything she's ever known?


: : :

My Review
5 STARS!!!

I tried to win this book in numerous giveaways, to no avail! I knew from the cover and blurb that I was going to like this story but I just want to say that I absolutely LOVE this story!!!


Rarely do we get to see the protagonists POV this prominent in a book. Stamford is the quintessential Regency earl. I love his character! Being inside his head so much was a real treat. His doubts and cynicism and struggles were presented in such a realistic way that I was not positive he was going to come to know the Lord but I held out hope and his faith journey did not disappoint.  
 
Miss Ellison is an interesting character. Outspoken and service oriented, she has a distinctive personality and it was fun to watch her interactions with the Earl. The author penned beautiful imagery and it was easy to imagine Lavinia escaping into the ‘hedge’ for solitude.


For my friends that are sensitive to certain things in books, there is some occasional alcohol use but no drunkenness. It does not detract from, or in any way sully the story. It really is a wonderful book and I hope fans of Regency and historical fiction will grab a copy to enjoy while sipping a cup of hot tea. I actually became so lost within the confines of the pages that my cuppa was long cold before I even thought to take a sip. :)



High fives on this debut novel by Carolyn Miller


Thank you, Kregel Publications, for a complimentary paperback copy to read and review. No compensation has been received.
  
:::

I am not affiliated with any online retailers but if you wish to purchase a copy of this delightful beginning to the series for your own reading pleasure, you can do so at Amazon or CBD.

~Happy Reading~ 

6 comments:

  1. You have intrigued me with your review on this book. I'm like you, the cover makes me want to read this book.
    I may just take the time and read this one.

    Blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debbie, Regency is my favorite era to read. I already have one friend who is in line to read my copy but if for some reason you are not able to get a hold of one, let me know and I will mail you my copy when my friend is finished. I don't mind doing this at all!!! Lots of love to you ~ :)

      Delete
  2. If you give this book a 5-star review, I might be tempted to read it... I can't even tell you when the last time I sat down to read a fictional book was... I have too many irons in the fire, lol! It does sound like a very intriguing story line indeed :) Hugs to you today dear friend, drop me a line (email) and let me know how you are doing sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marilyn, I hope you can catch a moment for some free reading. It's an enjoyable book.

      I will email soon. I'm sorry my communication has been so poor. :(

      {{hugs}}

      Delete
  3. sounds well woven and interesting.
    your review is great .though it reaches bit late in my country.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, Baili. Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.