Monday, January 27, 2014

Journal52 Week 3: You Make Me Smile

Can I just say that I am LOVING watercolors?!
I'm so enthralled with all the combinations and textures you can get mixing the colors. I've been watching some Youtube tutorials this past week and WOW...there are gazillions of them out there! 

I found one that was right up my alley. The artist's name is Samie Harding. She blogs at Journal Girl. What I liked most about her video series is that they are short, and she gets her hands messy! I mean messy!!! I loved it! And after watching, this is what I came up with for this week's prompt:


This is a closeup of the right hand corner. I'll list the colors I used but I can't remember the exact order, other than I know I started with a base layer of Prussian Blue and Crimson Red, adding Orange Yellow and Lemon Yellow with a tad bit of Yellow Ochre for some subtle 'sunny' highlights. I used some White along with the Crimson Red to get the pink tones at the top. 

BUT FIRST!!! I applied an all over coat of Gesso with a plastic card, then took another sheet of card stock and laid it on top, smoothing it with my hand. Then I carefully and slowly peeled it off to reveal those fantastic ripples!!! Leave to dry for 24 hours or use a heat gun, being careful not to burn the paper!


To make my faux flower design, I used a journal card from Making Memories and carefully outlined the shape. Tracing over it with a Prismacolor Premier marker in black really helped make it pop! I snagged that marker from my son's art supplies but don't tell him. Maybe he won't notice ;)


I drew the flower stalk and leaves (I don't draw well but it was fun trying). The paper flowers are some I had in my stash from Making Memories. I added some rhinestone bling so they would sparkle because you can never have too much sparkle. Right, ladies?

(The page really has more green tones than showing in this photo. You can see them better in the one above.)

Following along with the theme of someone who makes me smile, I immediately thought of my husband. He is the one person guaranteed to coax a smile or a laugh from just about anyone! He truly has a phenomenal sense of humor and quick wit. He is my SUNSHINE! I drew the sun on a separate piece of card stock after water coloring it with the yellows. Plus I spritzed it with some Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Frost. I glued it down with Tombow Mono (my favorite adhesive) and outlined it with the Prismacolor marker. After contemplating the emptiness of the sun, I then chose to journal some in the rays, which I think is kind of cute. I will journal more about him in the flower area that I left blank but that will be private :)

A few things I decided this week:
Use watercolor paper and not card stock. Maybe then it won't curl.
Start early. I get jittery when the end of the week gets close and I haven't even started.
Clean up my craft area while I go along, otherwise I can't find a thing.
Shop with a coupon at the craft store.
Be me and don't compare myself to others.
Thank the Lord daily for the ability to create!

So there you have it! 

I sincerely hope each of you have a blessed week in the Lord!

Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.


Who makes you smile?!



15 comments:

  1. Pretty, pretty, pretty. Your love of the medium shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! Maybe I shouldn't have used so many exclamation points ;)

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely, colourful, joyful, artistic, this is a feel great page...my hubby and pets daily and certain friends and family who were just born with that ability to make people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Thanks, Lynn! I'm having a blast :) Yes, all those people make me smile too! And my lovely blogging friends!!!

      Delete
  3. This art page turned out beautifully, and I love the purple background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Terra! Purple is one of my favorite colors so you'll probably see some variation of it often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. F A B U L O U S PAGE!!!!! Anne, this is really well done and I'm SO proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That means a lot to me since I have always admired your work and looked up to you :) xoxo

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful! I love the swirls of colors and the imprints on the pages. I like that you are describing how you're doing things, too--I'm taking mental notes because I want to try some of these things. I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the explanation of the process, Tina! I wasn't sure if I was articulating it very well. Hopefully i will improve my descriptive skill over the year :) I say just dive in and give it a try. It's fun and there really is NO wrong way!!!

      Delete
  7. It's amazing! Like the colors (and I get like, try something...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mascha! Thank you so much :) I love the profile picture. Your dress is brilliant!

      Delete
    2. This blue dress on the profile photo is my favorite dress (with a fakefur vest). I'll show a bigger picture of it at Random5 next time.

      Delete
  8. Very Beautiful Anne! I love ALL the colors you used. What fun, I should try my hand at these watercolors. I just love it all.

    I hope you have a wonderful day.

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to chase away the winter blahs... I love the vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.